Jon Rahm says he’s cleared for U.S. Open a week after positive Covid test
Jon Rahm, one week ago, shot an eight-under 64 at Muirfield Village Golf Club, grabbed a six-shot lead after the third round of the Memorial, then was told he would have to withdraw due to a positive Covid-19 test.
On Saturday, Rahm tweeted that he’s back.
And will be on time for next week’s U.S. Open, where he is the betting favorite.
“After two negative test in a 24 hour span and being cleared by health officials, it’s time to get ready for the US Open. Vamos!!” Rahm tweeted Saturday afternoon, adding an animated GIF of movie character Rambo.
Rahm’s status for the Open, which begins Thursday at Torrey Pines, had been in doubt after his withdrawal.
According to PGA Tour protocols, Rahm was required to go into isolation for the next 10 days, which would have been the Tuesday before the Open. However, as explained by Andy Levinson, the Tour’s senior vice president of tournament administration, should Rahm get two negative PCR test results spaced a minimum of 24 hours apart, then he could come out of isolation early. And that’s apparently what happened.
Now Rahm will turn his attention to Torrey, where he won the first of his five Tour titles at the course, in 2017 at the Farmers Insurance Open. According to golfodds.com, Rahm has the best odds to win, at 12-1.
In Rahm’s previous tweet, hours after his withdrawal, he wrote the following:
“I’m very disappointed in having to withdraw from the Memorial Tournament. This is one of those things that happens in life, one of those moments where how we respond to a setback defines us as people. I’m very thankful that my family and I are all OK. I will take all of the necessary precautions to be safe and healthy, and I look forward to returning to the golf course as soon as possible. Thank you to all of the fans for their support and I’m looking forward to watching the showdown tomorrow afternoon with you all”