1. Brooks Koepka. Power, poise, and a killer instinct — this kid is most definitely for real.
2. Keegan Bradley. Yeah, he couldn’t finish off a strong start in Phoenix, but who cares? His Patriots won the Bowl, giving him license to talk trash in perpetuity.
3. Rory McIlroy. It was frightening how easy he made it look in cruising to victory in Dubai. Don’t forget, McIlroy was just scuffling along for the first four months of 2014 before catching fire. He’s already in mid-season form and it’s only the beginning of February.
4. Lydia Ko. Number one at age 17. Amazing. And bonus points for no longer sporting Tom Kite’s eyeglasses!
5. The Phoenix double-dip. New Jersey? Minneapolis? The NFL should make PHX the permanent home of the Super Bowl. Combined with the Open it’s the best week any sports fan can have.
1. Tiger. He used to be golf’s Terminator. Now he’s John McClane. Yippe-ki-yay, mother—!
2. Martin Laird. That bogey-double bogey finish was about as ugly as it gets in crunch time.
3. Dustin Johnson. He makes his return to competition this week at Torrey. I haven’t yet heard the questions, but I already know his answers.
4. Stacy Lewis. She was in position for another victory but went off the rails with a 75. And now an all-time phenom has stolen her spot at No. 1. But something tells me Lewis has a little fight left in her.
5. TPC Scottsdale. We need to give the course time to mature but it’s clearly now a longer, tougher slog. At this event I’d like to see more fireworks and fewer bogeys.