Sand Valley Golf Resort
- Three restaurants / grass tennis courts / fishing / hiking / fat-tire biking
- 1697 Leopold Way , WI 54457
TravelogueDeveloper Mike Keiser already had Bandon Dunes and Cabot Links on his résumé when he opened Sand Valley’s doors in 2017, and it could be his greatest achievement. No ocean? No problem. Nearest major airport 2.5 hours away? They will come. Nekoosa? All good — the prehistoric sand dunes of central Wisconsin rise to the occasion. Sand Valley is beautiful and fair with shot values appealing to a broad swath of players. Mammoth Dunes, in contrast, defies the space-time continuum. Its scale is other-worldly, its shot-making demands relentless. You’ll welcome the respite of the resort’s 17-hole short course, which doubles as an architecture lesson with its Biarritz, Lion’s Mouth and Redan greens. A “beer canoe” helps wash away any of the day’s losses.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:June through September
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:$180
3. Golf experience:Sand Valley and the Sandbox short course, both designed by Coore/Crenshaw; Mammoth Dunes, designed by David McLay Kidd.
4. Best non-golf amenity:The 15 grass tennis courts.
5. While you're there:Wash down Sand Valley’s buffalo cheese curds with a bolt of Spotted Cow from Glarus Brewing.
6. Insider tip:Sand Valley’s 6-hole loop and the Sandbox (a par-3 course) offer twilight play.