- ALSO GOOD FOR
- Four restaurants / spa / tennis / fitness center with movement studio / golf academy / outdoor recreation center
- 65600 Pronghorn Club Drive, Bend, OR 97701
TravelogueWelcome to Bend, Oregon, not to be confused with North Bend, Oregon, the small coastal town you fly to on trips to Bandon Dunes. This is the high desert, a four-hour drive inland, and a proudly outdoorsy destination, with rivers running wild and mountains within easy striking distance. The juniper forest that spreads in all directions is the second largest in the world. What do people do here? What don’t they do here? For starters, there is hiking, fishing, biking, golf and more golf. Pronghorn’s two tracks are close siblings but not twins, with the Fazio course being more forgiving and the Nicklaus design asking plenty of your irons. Both extend their reach through rollicking terrain, their fairways intertwined with lava caves and outcrops that volcanoes shaped eons ago. In the backdrop looms Mt. Bachelor, one of several striking peaks that remain snow-dusted for much of the year. Winter might be coming, but golf season often lasts for weeks after the ski slopes open, and sometimes longer. Every guest room has a fireplace and beds with earthy linens, warm guards against the chill of an autumn evening. Pronghorn also recently unveiled the Huntington Lodge in April 2019 — a 104-room addition that overlooks the 18th hole of the Fazio-designed course. Nicklaus Design and GOLF.com are affiliates of 8AM Golf.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:Fall, when days are cool, nights are crisp and the trees are cloaked in their finest seasonal colors.
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:$445
3. Golf experience:A pair of complimentary courses (one by Nicklaus, the other by Fazio), spilling through a landscape of lava rocks.
4. Best non-golf amenity:The Wellness Teepee.
5. While you're there:Visit the lava rock cave, where the resort holds group yoga classes and intimate dinners.
6. Insider tip:Bend is home to more breweries per capita than any city in the country. Pronghorn takes appropriate advantage.