Omni La Costa Resort & Spa
- ALSO GOOD FOR
- Three restaurants / eight pools / tennis center / spa / fitness center
- 2100 Costa Del Mar Road, Carlsbad, CA 92009
TravelogueBuilt on a former equestrian ranch, Omni La Costa Resort & Spa has been a mainstay on the Southern California golf scene since 1965. Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson all won tournaments there, as did Darren Clarke, who famously defeated Woods, 4 and 3, during the 2000 WGC-Andersen Consulting Match Play Championship. Neither was riding Golfboards and Phat Scooters around the fairways like you can now, and both courses have been vastly improved since then. The Champions layout gets the aesthetic edge, with plenty of bunkers and larger greens that come with more subtle breaks. The chipping areas around the many humpback-shaped greens on the Legends course will test short-game skills. Kids will love the two 100-foot long water slides, a Kidtopia Club, the Sandy Beach Family Pool, S’mores roasting and Dive in Movies by the pool.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:Pretty much anytime of the year, but May and Oct. are ideal.
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:$476
3. Golf experience:The Champions Course and Legends Course both hosted PGA Tour events back in the day.
4. Best non-golf amenity:Heal your body at the resort’s award-winning spa or work on your mind with meditation and yoga at the Chopra Center.
5. While you're there:The resort is just a mile east of I-5, providing a handy launch point to reach family favorites like Legoland California
6. Insider tip:The Robo GolfPro swing trainer located on the practice range lets you experience exactly what a proper swing feels like.