Omni Grove Park Inn
- ALSO GOOD FOR
- Pool / spa / tennis / sports complex
- 290 Macon Ave, Asheville, NC 28804
TravelogueThe Omni Grove Park Inn, tucked amid North Carolina's spectacular swath of the Blue Ridge Mountains, can name drop with the best of them. Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, Henry Ford, Jack Nicklaus, President Obama, F. Scott Fitzgerald and James Taylor have all graced the property. The first thing you'll notice is the original hotel, a vestige from a bygone era. The exterior walls were wrought with granite boulders, some weighing 10,000 pounds, and are five-feet thick. Two modern wings flank either side of the hotel, and under it all is a see-it-to-believe-it 43,000-square-foot subterranean spa. For those who prefer the great outdoors, check out the 6,400-yard Donald Ross-designed resort layout. Diminutive by today's standards, the course still oozes character and is in impeccable condition. What it lacks in distance it makes up for in strategy, creativity and unapologetic fun. The tee box on the 332-yard 15th hole is an ideal spot to soak in the mountain views and crack open a beer from one of Asheville's myriad craft breweries.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:Late spring and early fall.
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:$500
3. Golf experience:One 18-hole Donald Ross design.
4. Best non-golf amenity:The 43,000-square-foot spa with 20 water features.
5. While you're there:Take in the sunset over the Blue Ridge Mountains from the Sunset Terrace Restaurant.
6. Insider tip:Book the Guy's Golf Getaway, a three-night stay with unlimited golf, daily breakfast and a bucket of beers upon arrival.