La Quinta Resort & Club
La Quinta, CA
- ALSO GOOD FOR
- Seven restaurants / spa / tennis / pool
- 49-499 Eisenhower Drive, La Quinta, CA 92253
TravelogueBuilt in 1926, the 20 original guest casitas at La Quinta have grown exponentially to more than 30 times that number. The sprawling lushly landscaped 45-acre resort became known as a popular haunt for Hollywood stars (Ginger Rogers was married there in 1953) and it still is today. The adobe casitas are appointed in a distinctly Spanish style, and the fountains and colorful mosaics around the property add to the Mediterranean feel. Because the resort is vast, 41 pools — many complete with outdoor fireplaces — and 53 hot spas are scattered around the property to ensure that refreshment is never too far away. Centrally located near the resort lobby are three restaurants of the resort’s seven restaurants. It’s tough to beat Adobe Grill’s open-air dining area, complete with white-light and babbling-fountain ambiance. In addition to the two courses on site, the La Quinta Resort Dunes and Mountain layouts, guests also have preferred access to three of PGA West’s five courses, the Norman, Nicklaus and Stadium. The Pete Dye-designed Stadium course has played host to the Liberty Mutual Legends of Golf, the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic, and the Skins Game. Nicklaus Design and GOLF.com are affiliates of 8AM Golf.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:October through May, but you'll find the best prices during summer months.
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:$380
3. Golf experience:Among La Quinta Resort's golf courses, the Mountain is ranked in GOLF's Top 100 Courses You Can Play.
4. Best non-golf amenity:The 21 beautifully maintained tennis courts.
5. While you're there:Rent a bike from the fitness center and take a scenic ride with views of the surrounding Santa Rosa mountains.
6. Insider tip:Channel your inner Roger Federer by making a reservation to play on the resort's "center court," which has stadium-style seating.