Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
- ALSO GOOD FOR
- Three restaurants / pool / spa / beach
- 72-100 Ka'upulehu Drive, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
TravelogueIt’s hard to go wrong anywhere in Hawaii, but when you visit the best Hawaiian island for golf and a resort brand that has perfected the art of luxury, you’ve done something very right. Such is the case at the Four Seasons Hualalai, where low-slung lodging allows you to look over the ocean and lush green surrounds. The Jack Nicklaus-designed Hualalai golf course offers several holes along the water and white sand bunkers set against the Kahala Coast. When the PGA Tour Champions visits here every January, among the festivities is a beach concert, where the music is accompanied by lapping waves. Other amenities include a traditional Hawaii spa with outdoor massage tables and native treatment, plus an innovative Kids for All Seasons program that offers a variety of water sports along with fishing instruction and shell exploration. Another good option: lay in an oceanside hammock and do nothing at all. Nicklaus Companies and GOLF.com are affiliates of 8AM Golf.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:Winter months are divine here, and you’ll see the whales at play.
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:$1,290
3. Golf experience:A Jack Nicklaus–designed 18 that hosts the Champions Tour every January.
4. Best non-golf amenity:A lounge chair and the Pacific.
5. While you're there:The exclusively private Nanea course is across the street. Depending on your negotiating skills, it’s a worthy ask.
6. Insider tip:Every night a Hawaiian warrior blows his war horn and runs the resort outline to light torches. Often he has a young helper. With some advance planning, your kid could be his pyro sidekick.