Tiger Woods drops out of U.S. Open, hopes to play Open Championship

Tiger Woods announced on Tuesday that he won't be in the field for next week's U.S. Open at The Country Club in Brookline, Mass.

Getty Images

Tiger Woods announced on Tuesday that he won’t be in the field for next week’s U.S. Open at The Country Club in Brookline, Mass.

In a tweet, the 46-year-old 15-time major champ said his body is not ready to compete.

“I previously informed the USGA that I will not be competing in the @usopengolf as my body needs more time to get stronger for major championship golf,” Woods wrote. “I do hope and plan to be ready to play in Ireland at @JPProAm and at @TheOpen next month. I’m excited to get back out there soon!”

Report: The ‘mind-blowingly enormous’ money Tiger Woods declined to join LIV Golf
By: Luke Kerr-Dineen

Woods has compete in just events in 2022, as he’s had a long road back recovering from a car accident in February 2021.

He made the cut at the Masters but shot back-to-back 78s on the weekend to finish 47th. Last month, he made the cut at the PGA Championship but withdrew after a 79 on Saturday.

“Well, I’m sore,” Woods said after his third round of the PGA, a couple of hours before he withdrew. “I know that is for a fact. We’ll do some work and see how it goes.”

Woods’ next two scheduled starts are the JP McManus Pro-Am, scheduled for July 4-5 at Adare Manor Hotel Golf Club in Limerick, Ireland, and the following week’s Open Championship at St. Andrews. Woods has won two claret jugs on the Old Course.

Josh Berhow

Golf.com Editor

Josh Berhow is the managing editor at GOLF.com. The Minnesota native graduated with a journalism degree from Minnesota State University in Mankato. You can reach him at joshua_berhow@golf.com.