Thorbjorn Olesen suspended by European Tour over sexual assault charges
Pro golfer Thorbjorn Olesen has been suspended by the European Tour over an ugly incident on an airplane last week that resulted in sexual assault charges.
The European Tour said Olesen will be barred from competing on Tour until the upcoming trial is complete. The Tour did not add additional details, saying, “As it remains a pending case, we currently have no further comments.”
According to The Sun, Olesen, 29, who finished 27th at the WGC-FedEx St. Jude event in Memphis two weeks ago, was arrested at London’s Heathrow Airport last Monday for allegedly molesting a woman on the flight and verbally abusing passengers and crew. An eyewitness told The Sun that Olesen also urinated in the first-class aisle.
The Met Police confirmed to The Sun that a 29-year-old man was arrested on “suspicion of sexual assault, being drunk on board an aircraft and failing to comply with the orders of cabin crew.” Police said he was subsequently released under investigation.
Olesen is set to appear in court on August 21.
To receive GOLF’s all-new newsletters, subscribe for free here.