Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa
Loreto B.C.S., Mexico, NA
- Six restaurants / spa / pool / beach
- Carretera transpeninsular Km. 84. , NA 23880
TravelogueRees Jones is better known as a restorer of U.S. Open courses than as a creator of dramatic holes. But he achieved the latter at the 17th at TPC Danzante Bay, where he built one of the world’s most stunning par 3s. The downhill tee shot is unforgettable: to a sliver of green placed on top of a rocky peninsula overlooking the Sea of Cortez. The views are so good the spot has also become a popular early-morning hiking spot for guests here on the eastern coast of the Baja Peninsula. The rest of the course is mountains meeting the ocean, with many fairways carved through canyons and numerous greens backdropped by sheer rock walls. Multiple pools at the resort, plus the Bay of Loreto, are perfect for cooling off, while the spacious spa is ideal for chilling out. The two-bedroom suites complete with full living rooms and kitchens are tailor made for buddies’ trips.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:November to May; it’s a little cooler and best time to catch whales passing by in the Gulf of California.
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:$298
3. Golf experience:Imagine Sedona, Ariz., crashing into the sea—that’s TPC Danzante Bay. Rees Jones' par-3 17th is stunning.
4. Best non-golf amenity:Get on a boat and explore the Bay of Loreto National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
5. While you're there:There’s a hidden disco on the property (in a yurt, no less) open on weekends only.
6. Insider tip:Check the Alaska Air flight schedule from LAX to Loreto; it’s the only way to get here directly from the states.