- ALSO GOOD FOR
- Six restaurants / spa / fitness center / pools / casino
- 9800 Talking Stick Way, Scottsdale, AZ 85256
TravelogueIn resort-heavy Scottsdale, Talking Stick Resort stands alone — literally. You can’t miss it from Highway 101 on the east side of town, just 20 minutes north of Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. The 15-story spread on the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community has six restaurants, a sprawling casino floor and flashy names on the bill at the concert venue. The golf reflects the minimalist nature of Ben Crenshaw and Bill Coore. The duo injected some “desert links” flavor on the longer and more straightforward O'odham Course, while the Piipaash Course is more tree-lined with multiple doglegs and water in play on five holes. Both tracks are also walkable, a rare trait here in the desert. If your game needs sharpening, GOLF Magazine Top 100 Instructors Pia Nilsson and Lynn Marriott have their Vision54 golf school headquarters at Talking Stick Golf Club’s massive practice facility.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, when the weather is good and rates are lower than the peak season of January-March.
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:$176
3. Golf experience:36 holes at Talking Stick Golf Club were designed by Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw.
4. Best non-golf amenity:Fine dining and killer sunset views at Orange Sky on the resort’s 15th floor.
5. While you're there:Salt River Fields at Talking Stick hosts spring training for the D-Backs and Rockies, a short drive from the resort.
6. Insider tip:One of the world’s most popular TopGolf locations is within walking distance; mention you’re staying at the resort for potential special offers.