Seaview, a Dolce Hotel
- ALSO GOOD FOR
- Three restaurants / spa / tennis / indoor pool
- 401 S New York Rd., Galloway, NJ 08205
TravelogueOld-school golf is paired with a newly renovated hotel on the southern end of the Jersey Shore. The hotel reopened in 2019 after an $18 million facelift that added modern touches to a facility that opened in 1914. Be sure to check out the Wall of Fame just off the main lobby to see the long list of famous names who have stayed here before you. At 6,300 yards, the compact Bay Course, which has played host to the LPGA since the 1980s, exudes a throwback vibe. Small greens and breezes coming off Reed’s Bay protect the layout, while bunkering originally created by Donald Ross will appeal to architecture aficionados. A handful of holes, most notably No. 2, offer views of the Atlantic City skyline. On the aptly named Pines Course, the par-3 16th hole, located directly behind the hotel, is where Sam Snead holed a 60-foot chip-in to clinch his first major win during the 1942 PGA Championship. To appreciate the fabled history of the resort and golf courses, check out the black-and-white photos that line the hallways.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:May or Sept. to avoid the summer humidity.
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:270
3. Golf experience:The linksy Bay Course (designed by Hugh Wilson, with bunkering by Donald Ross) and the tree-lined Pines Course.
4. Best non-golf amenity:An indoor pool that dates to the resort’s opening in 1914.
5. While you're there:Atlantic City is just a 15-minute drive.
6. Insider tip:Order the clam chowder. It’s a must.