Sea Island Resort
Sea Island, GA
- ALSO GOOD FOR
- Golf Performance Center / spa / seven pools / tennis / beach
- 100 Retreat Avenue, Sea Island, GA 31522
Davis Love III grew up on Sea Island, one of coastal Georgia’s golf-rich Golden Isles. He and brother Mark, of Love Golf Design, recently completed an 18-hole putting course here, and successfully pitched ownership on a full reno of the 1998 Rees Jones redesign of Plantation. It opens this fall, before co-hosting the RSM Classic. If golf were a stock, Sea Island would be buying. The elegant Lodge recently wrapped a $30 million upgrade, and the new Golf Performance Center is peerlessly high-tech. Instruction has always been a major focus at Sea Island Resort. Little wonder, with resident Tour players including Zach Johnson, Matt Kuchar, Harris English, Brian Harman and recent winners Keith Mitchell and J.T. Poston.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:Fall or spring, with highs in the 70s and low 80s.
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:$800
3. Golf experience:Seaside Course (Colt and Alison, Fazio), Plantation Course (Travis, Rees Jones, Love) and Retreat Course (Lee, Love).
4. Best non-golf amenity:Seven miles of private beach.
5. While you're there:Fine-tune your game at the all-new, 17,000-square-foot Golf Performance Center.
6. Insider tip:It’s the only resort in the world to receive four Forbes Five-Star awards for 11 consecutive years. Soak up the experience.