Rosewood CordeValle Resort
San Martin, CA
- ALSO GOOD FOR
- Three restaurants / spa / tennis / pool / fitness center / meeting space
- 1 Cordevalle Club Drive, San Martin, CA 95046
TravelogueIt’s easy to forget, as you grind through the gridlock of the Silicon Valley, that Northern California’s crowded, tech-crazed region was once known as the “valley of the heart’s delight.” That was in the era before the spread of smart phones and gated subdivisions, when fruit trees grew in such abundance that the valley floor in spring became of blanket of white blossoms. It was a calm, bucolic time. And a time you feel returning as you slip into the foothills at the valley’s southern edge, an easy trip from all the madness but a world removed. Past the low-slung clubhouse, so rustic-chic and California cool, the golf course dips and swells with the landscape, inviting you to pick your poison or your pleasure by playing from the friendly front tees or the punishing tips. No matter where you peg it, it pays to pause a moment on the 9th tee, an elevated perch that looks out on the region in its unspoiled state, all camelback-slopes and knobby scrub oaks. Modernity here is tucked into the folds of the terrain, in the form of suites and bungalows that offer all you need in contemporary comforts, without the slightest hint of contemporary stress.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:Spring, when wildflowers are in bloom, and fall, when the neighboring vineyards are heavy with fruit.
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:$560
3. Golf experience:Rolling Robert Trent Jones Jr. course that hosted the Frys.com Open from 2010-2013 and the 2016 U.S. Women’s Open.
4. Best non-golf amenity:The Vichy showers in the spa, where you’re bathed in streams of warm water while lying on a shallow, comfortable bed.
5. While you're there:Take a dip in the oversized hot tub, surrounded by big-screen TVs — it’s like an entertainment cave for Aquaman.
6. Insider tip:From 8 a.m.-4 p.m. daily, a complimentary shuttle takes guests to/from neighboring Clos LaChance winery for tastings and tours.