Princeville Resort Kauai
- ALSO GOOD FOR
- Three restaurants / spa / tennis / pool / beach
- 5520 Ka Haku Road, Princeville, HI 96722
TravelogueResort golf doesn't get more spectacular or more fragrant (thanks to ubiquitous plumeria) than at Makai Golf Club, on Kauai's North Shore, an hour north of Lihue Airport. There's mind-blowing beauty at just about every turn on the Robert Trent Jones Jr. design, starting at the downhill tee shot on the par-3 3rd with a backdrop of Hanalei Bay and soaring mountains. There are six Instagram-worthy oceanfront holes, led by the par-3 7th (miss short or right and watch your ball plummet almost 400 feet to the waves below), where a flock of fuzzy baby albatross reside near the cart path. Towering mature trees frame many fairways and provide a memorable backdrop on the par-5 18th. The Princeville Resort, located just a mile away, has equally memorable views, especially from the infinity pool that looks out onto the North Shore. Make your way down to the beach for a splash in the water or surfing lesson. Then cap the day with a sunset dinner on the Makana Terrace.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:Anytime, though September and October are typically drier.
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:$400
3. Golf experience:Makai GC will quickly deplete your vocabulary of adjectives with endless jaw-dropping views.
4. Best non-golf amenity:Helicopter ride around Kauai from nearby Princeville Airport.
5. While you're there:Take the on-course Sunset Tour. This self-driven cart ride ($70 per 2-person cart) hits five scenic points.
6. Insider tip:Tradewinds usually kick up around 10 a.m. and keep blowing until 4 p.m.