JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
- ALSO GOOD FOR
- Five restaurants / spa / pool with lazy river / fitness center
- 3800 W Starr Pass Blvd, Tucson, AZ 85745
TravelogueOnly 15 minutes from downtown Tucson, the JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa is the area's largest resort. It feels more remote than it actually is because of its location — tucked against a hillside and surrounded by hundreds of saguaro and mesquite trees. Luxurious amenities are plentiful, as are the colorful views of the Sonoran desert and Starr Pass Golf Club, a 27-hole gem with three nine-hole layouts named for wildlife that live in the area: Roadrunner, featuring dramatic elevation changes; Rattler, known for its dynamic challenges and risk-reward opportunities; and Coyote, a slightly removed and hilly routing that ironically is chock-full of coyote prey such as jackrabbits, quail and deer. Add the swirling winds that are prevalent at Starr Pass and you have 27 holes sure to challenge even the straightest shooters in the West.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:Winter is when the resort looks its best, but it’s also when the room and golf rates hit their peak.
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:$269
3. Golf experience:Three distinct nine-hole layouts designed by Arnold Palmer.
4. Best non-golf amenity:Grab a tube and make a break for the 1,200-foot-long lazy river.
5. While you're there:Be sure to visit nearby Old Tucson, home to movie sets used as backdrops for more than 400 western films and TV shows.
6. Insider tip:One of the best perks we’ve seen at any golf resort: After 3 p.m., kids play free with an accompanying adult.