Innisbrook, A Salamander Resort
Palm Harbor, FL
- ALSO GOOD FOR
- Four restaurants / golf school / tennis / pool / spa
- 36750 US Hwy 19 N, Palm Harbor, FL 34684
TravelogueThe “build it and they will come” era of golf ushered in by Bandon Dunes and mimicked by Streamsong and Sand Valley has gifted the U.S. a handful of amazing new golf destinations in remote locations. But there is something to be said for accessibility, and Innisbrook Resort, just north of Tampa, has plenty of that. Just minutes from Tampa Bay International and right off bustling U.S. 41., this crown golf jewel of Salamander Hotels is home to four Larry Packard-designed courses. The Copperhead Course hosts the PGA Tour’s Valspar Championship and is a perennial favorite of Tour players. NBC analyst Mark Rolfing cleverly dubbed it a “navigator’s course” because of the “station-to-station” strategy required to go low. The Island Course was the resort’s first; a redesign stretched it to nearly 7,200 yards and many feel it is every bit the challenge of Copperhead. If you only have time for three rounds, check out the renovated North Course, dubbed “Little Copperhead.” If there was a knock against Innisbrook, it was the lodging quality. That ends this fall when a full renovation to every guest room is completed.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:Winter months for temps in the 70s and 80s, but shoulder season is also ideal (less crowded and cheaper).
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:$189
3. Golf experience:PGA Tour host Copperhead course; Island, North and South courses.
4. Best non-golf amenity:The Salamander Spa, with 12 treatment rooms featuring the Golfers Muscle Melting Massage.
5. While you're there:Sip a cocktail around the firepits outside Market Salamander Grille and Bar.
6. Insider tip:Make reservations at Packard’s Steakhouse, or you may end up eating at the bar.