French Lick Resort
French Lick, IN
- ALSO GOOD FOR
- 13 restaurants / spa / pool / casino
- 8670 IN-56, French Lick, IN 47432
TravelogueLike lots of great resorts, this isn’t the easiest place to get to, but once you’ve given your GPS a workout, you will be glad you did. Historic and lavish lodging is offered at two hotels: West Baden Springs and French Lick Springs. Plus gambling and golf. What’s not to like about that trifecta? If you’ve never played the Pete Dye Course, you’ll be hugely impressed by the site of the ’15 Senior PGA Championship. Truly great work by the Indiana native on this dramatic piece of Southern Indiana territory. The Donald Ross Course has been on the property for more than 100 years, and while it’s not as dramatic, it’s a stirring test by one of the game’s master architectures. Golf, gambling, good times. A journey to French Lick is well worth taking.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:Spring or fall for golf
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:$284
3. Golf experience:Must-plays are the 36 holes at the Donald Ross and Pete Dye courses.
4. Best non-golf amenity:After trying your luck on the golf courses, try the same at the casino.
5. While you're there:Hoops junkies need to make time to go see the Spring Valley High School gym where Larry Bird worked his magic.
6. Insider tip:If you’ve lost enough dough on the course or at the slots, seek out the bowling alley for a friendly, non-money game.