Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort
Whistler, British Columbia, Canada, NA
- ALSO GOOD FOR
- Seven restaurants / spa / indoor & outdoor pools / tennis / health club
- 4599 Chateau Blvd, Whistler, British Columbia, Canada, NA
TravelogueTwo hours north of Vancouver, along the scenic Sea To Sky Highway, your Chateau awaits. Skiers will know this part of the world for the stunning views and sweet powder of Whistler Mountain. But there’s something for golfers, too. The Robert Trent Jones Jr.-designed course, which turned 25 in 2018, is carved out of the woods and the side of Blackcomb Mountain. The elevation changes frequently from hole to hole — it’s a 100-foot drop from tee to green on the par-3 10th. The surrounding valley views will fill up your memory card quickly, while your scorecard might fill up with…well, no need to keep score the first time around! Breathe in the mountain air and enjoy the alpine setting. The regal Fairmont Chateau, with suites that offer mountain views and an outdoor pool featuring underwater music, is less than a minute’s ride away at the base of Blackcomb — as are the bars, restaurant and shopping at Whistler Village.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:Early July when the course brightens up from the long winter.
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:$173
3. Golf experience:Golf course designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr.
4. Best non-golf amenity:Whistler Experience Guides for hiking and biking; the bee hotel on the roof of the resort.
5. While you're there:Ride a bobsled down the same track used in Whistler for the 2010 Olympics, or soak up the views from a gondola ride.
6. Insider tip:Bring more than a few sleeves with you — fairways are wide but the mountain setting, including some granite rock outcroppings, often send balls bouncing to their final resting place.