Beaver Creek Resort
- ALSO GOOD FOR
- Dozens of restaurants on mountain and in village / pool / spa / skiing
- 210 Beaver Creek Plaza, Avon, CO 81620
TravelogueAs Colorado’s original upscale ski destination, Beaver Creek Resort continues to set the pace for luxury, variety and scenery. While the area is well-known for superb skiing and even made a run at hosting the Winter Olympics years ago, there is still plenty to do when the snow melts. That includes outstanding summer golf at Beaver Creek GC, a Robert Trent Jones, Jr., design that opened in 1982 along with Red Sky Golf Club, which has well-regarded Greg Norman and Tom Fazio layouts. A few miles away in Vail there is more vista-rich golf at Vail Golf Club, where former President Gerald Ford would sometimes tee it up when he was staying in his condo there. The biggest plus this area has going for it is the variety. You can spend lots on deluxe accommodations — there are several top-shelf hotels in the alpine village — but are also plenty of budget-minded options. Your best chance to ski and play golf in the same day is likely October or early April, but golfer-skiers will enjoy Beaver Creek year-round.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:Summer and early fall are great for golf; winter for world-class skiing.
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:$440
3. Golf experience:18 holes at the Beaver Creek Golf Club and 36 at Red Sky Golf Club.
4. Best non-golf amenity:A tremendous village for shopping, eating and drinking.
5. While you're there:Make time for fishing, as some of the streams flow close to or actually through the village.
6. Insider tip:Traffic can easily become snarled in the winter due to the snow and crowds. The resort’s true ski-in, ski-out setup is a great luxury.