Amanera, Playa Grande Resort
Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic, NA
- ALSO GOOD FOR
- Two restaurants / beaches / spa / pool
- Highway 5, Cabrera Rio San Juan, Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic, NA 33300
TravelogueOn the Dominican Republic’s Gold Coast on Playa Grande Beach, this all-casita-and-casa resort is a monument to upscale luxury. Surrounded by natural beauty it’s an outdoor-enthusiast’s paradise with endless water sports, outdoor yoga and spa treatments, plus hiking in the nearby mountains. The Rees Jones-designed course is one of the more spectacular in the region. All 18 holes have a view of the ocean with 10 holes directly on the water, clinging to the cliffs, including the last five. It’s a closing act you won’t soon forget.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:November through April.
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:$1,650
3. Golf experience:A Rees Jones oceanside stunner.
4. Best non-golf amenity:Nature walks around the mountains encircling Playa Grande.
5. While you're there:Dive into the kitesurfing.
6. Insider tip:Take advantage of the hotel transportation. Amanera is more than an hour from the airport, on mountain roads.