R&A still mulling John Daly’s cart request for British Open
A spokesman for The R&A said the governing body is still mulling John Daly’s request to use a golf cart for the British Open in July.
“We have received a request from John Daly for permission to use a buggy at The Open, and it is currently under consideration,” the R&A told GOLF.com.
The spokesman also confirmed that no one has ever used a golf cart in the history of The Open.
The 53-year-old Daly created headlines at last week’s PGA Championship for becoming the first pro to use a golf cart in a major since Casey Martin at the 2012 U.S. Open. Daly applied to use a cart through the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) due to the osteoarthritis in his right knee, and his request was granted. Daly said after his round on Thursday that he had requested to use a cart in the British Open as well but was still waiting on a decision.
“Doctors tell me I’m too young to get a knee surgery, get it replaced,” Daly said last week. “I enjoy playing. I’m still competitive, and I think getting to play hopefully the British in a cart… Past champions I think if we can play, no matter what it takes, I think we should.”
Daly shot 75-76 at Bethpage Black and missed the cut. Bethpage’s Black Course, like this year’s Open venue Royal Portrush, does not allow riding carts. Daly said if he’s not allowed to use a cart at the British Open he won’t be able to play. Daly won the 1995 Open at St. Andrews and, like all past champions, has an exemption through the age of 65. He missed the cut in the event from 2014-17 and didn’t play last year.
“Ireland is big on ADA like most countries should be, but trust me, if I could walk I’d rather walk,” he said. “I feel like I play better, always have played better when I walk.”
The British Open is July 18-21 in Portrush, Northern Ireland.