These are the 23 scariest shots in golf, according to golfers
Every now and again we pose a question to the members of our How To Hit Every Shot instruction group, which is free to join right here. The question this week was a simple one: What’s the scariest shot in golf? Here’s what they came back with…
1. The first drive after a long wait
Hard to hit a good shot when you haven’t had the chance to re-warm up.
2. When the group ahead is letting you play through
Don’t hit a bad shot and make them regret their decision.
3. The next shot after a shank
Was the one shank a fluke, or is it about to torment your entire round?
4. Short-sided in a deep bunker
Open the face, hit and hope.
5. Downhill putt inside 10 feet
You should make it, technically, but this is about as difficult as an short putt can get.
6. Greenside bunker with water long
Like the bunker at the back of Augusta’s 12th hole, if you hit it in there and hit your next shot too hard, and you may be taking a drop on your next one.
7. Downhill lie in the bunker
Especially when you’ve short-sided yourself, there may be no tougher shot in golf. The key here is to align your shoulders with the slope.
8. Par-3 with water short
When in doubt, take an extra club.
9. Any forced carry
Now is the time to hit a good one…or else.
10. Any blind shot
Golf is hard enough as it is, let alone when you can’t see where you’re going.
11. The approach on 18 with people in the clubhouse watching
You’re about to put on a show. Hopefully it’s a good one.
12. The putt after hitting your birdie attempt a little too firm
A birdie opportunity just turned into a three-putt opportunity.
13. Opening tee shot on a busy day
14. A punch shot through trees
If it works, you’ll be a hero. If it doesn’t, your round is over.
15. 60 yard wedge shot
Time to test how dialed-in your distance control is.
16. Approach to an elevated green
It plays longer, and it’s probably a blind shot, too.
17. Short-sided flop from the rough
18. Tee shot on a long par-3
It demands accuracy, which is hard when you’re pulling a long iron or fairway wood.
19. Tee shot with OB left and right
20. The long bunker shot
The shot many golfers consider THE most difficult shot in golf, largely because it’s all about good contact.
21. Short chip with the grain growing into you
It’s a prime opportunity for a duff, so plan accordingly.
22. Long approach over water
23. A putt to win
No matter how short, the must-make putt to win the match is the most nerve-wracking of them all.