The Sagamore Resort
Bolton Landing, NY
- ALSO GOOD FOR
- Seven restaurants / spa / tennis / pool
- 110 Sagamore Road, Bolton Landing, NY 12814
TravelogueIn the years following the Civil War, Manhattanites fled the city for the cooler climes of the Adirondacks, made possible by the advent of the railroad. Donald Ross hopped one of those trains in the mid 1920s and made his way to The Sagamore, one of nearly 200 luxury hotels that opened in the region around the turn of the century. The famed designer laid out a sporty par-70 with an opening hole plunging downhill and offering jaw-dropping views of Lake George and the mountains beyond. The balance of the course winds through beautiful, tree-lined hills and past several ponds that test golfers’ nerves on holes 5, 6 and 13. The true Sagamore wow-factor, however, stems not from the course, but the stately hotel situated on its own private island. Golfers gravitate to Mr. Brown’s Pub, a cozy bar steeped in Adirondack camp décor that morphs into a lively evening hangout after hours. In addition to the historic main hotel, The Sagamore offers spacious two-bedroom, two-bathroom condos that setup perfectly for golf buddy trips.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:Fall, when the Adirondack Mountains’ foliage peaks and it’s golf-sweater weather.
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:$425
3. Golf experience:A Donald Ross beauty that dates to 1928.
4. Best non-golf amenity:The magnificent, 32-mile-long Lake George.
5. While you're there:Rent a charter boat for touring or fishing.
6. Insider tip:Play golf early, then adjourn to the lake or pool.