Fairmont Le Manoir Richelieu
La Malbaie, Quebec, Canada, NA
- ALSO GOOD FOR
- Three restaurants / spa / tennis / pool / casino
- 181 Rue Richelieu, La Malbaie, Quebec, Canada, NA
TravelogueEven the most seasoned golf travelers will be stopped in their tracks by the view from the first tee on the St-Laurent nine two hours north of Quebec City. With the St. Lawrence River to the right, mountains to the left, and a 541-yard par 5 opening hole that tumbles 150 feet down to an infinity-edge green, it’s one of Canada’s most stunning holes. The opener wasn’t added until 2002, 77 years after former U.S. President William Howard Taft officially opened the 18-hole Le Manoir Richelieu Golf Club (then featuring only the Richelieu and Tadoussac nines, still the favorite combo of locals). The course sits high above the Fairmont Le Manoir Richelieu, nestled into a hillside overlooking the river. The hotel dates to 1899 and is luxe enough to have hosted world leaders during the G7 Summit Meeting in 2018. The region’s cooler climate and natural beauty are big draws for travelers looking to escape the summer heat. Be sure to carve out time for whale watching on the St. Lawrence River.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:September, when temperatures are moderate and fall foliage hits peak colors.
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:$165
3. Golf experience:27 holes, including the rollercoaster fairways of the St-Laurent nine and its mind-blowing downhill opener.
4. Best non-golf amenity:See the stars up close at the Charlevoix Astronomical Observatory located on site.
5. While you're there:Check out stops on the Charlevoix Flavour Trail, a consortium of 40 area restaurants, farms, bars and shops.
6. Insider tip:An underground tunnel connects the Manoir Richelieu to the Charlevoix Casino.