Sports Illustrated’s Alan Shipnuck breaks down the good and bad — and sometimes even the ugly — of the weekend that was in professional golf. More often than not, someone blew a lead, another player stormed onto the scene and a few others provided us unforgettable moments, for whatever reason. Who is a hero and who is a zero? Find out below, but make sure to check back next week. You never know who will show up.
1. Justin Rose. Apparently last week’s spot on the business end of this list was exactly the motivation he needed!
2. Lydia. People, do you realize how lucky we are to be watching Ms. Ko grow up? Ten wins at 18…wow.
3. The USGA. A new batch of rules tweaks are surprisingly sensible and benevolent. What’s gotten into these people?
4. Smylie Kaufman. You couldn’t make this guy up.
5. Tiger. He’s using his starpower to score photo ops for his daughter and get a special sneak peek at the new Bond flick, and now Forbes has declared he’s still the most valuable brand in sports. Imagine how big he’d be if he were healthy and winning tournaments!
1. Kevin Na. I love his fight but he’s well past the point of moral victories. The only consolation is that when a guy named Smylie Kaufman shoots 61 to beat you, well, you have to be philosophical about the universe.
2. Emiliano Grillo. He was set up to be the darling of the Fall Season, but now ol’ Smylie has relegated him to, at best, second banana.
3. The Donald. He’s comparing being president to renovating Doral. That ridiculous, obviously, but if he’ll make Gil Hanse the Secretary of the Interior I might be inclined to vote for Trump.
4. Justin Timberlake. Years later the folks in Vegas are *still* disparaging the former tournament host. Poor guy can never catch a break.
5. Loyal H/Z readers. I’m going on vacation for the next three weeks. Hey, Nicklaus only played 18 tournaments a year!