The 37 best feelings in golf, according to golfers
Golf. It’s a maddening game, one that isn’t kind to us most of the time. But we love it anyway, and it’s the good moments that keep us coming back.
We asked members of our How To Hit Every Shot facebook group, which you can join yourself here, to share what they think are the best feelings in golf. They’re listed below; which one relates to you the most?
The Orange Whip Trainer
1. Hitting a forged blade pure
Feels like butter.
2. Hitting exactly the shot you had planned
Imagination becomes reality.
3. Cracking open an ice cold beer during a hot round
A little bit of swing oil to get things going.
4. Your playing partners saying “great shot” after you flush a shot
Now time to help them find their ball.
5. Knowing a putt is in the hole before it even drops
Especially when you walk it in.
6. Making an eagle
They don’t come often, but they’re wonderful when they do.
7. Securing a lead in a heated match
A 1-up lead is tenuous; a 2-up lead is emphatic.
8. A long walk with a putter
9. Ripping your first drive of the day
It sets the tone for the round.
10. Finishing well on 18
Good or bad, your performance on the 18th is the one you’ll remember.
11. Thinning a shot to three feet.
Yea, totally meant to do that.
12. Hitting a chip too hard but seeing it hit the pin and stop close.
Just how I planned it.
13. Getting to the next tee and not having to wait.
This might be THE best feeling in golf.
14. Flushing a 3-wood off the deck
Especially when it rolls up onto the green.
15. Such a pure feeling is the well-struck golf shot
A famous line in The Golf Swing, by Roy McAvoy.
16. Draining a long putt
You weren’t expecting to make it, but you’re happy you did.
17. A fast round
No one ahead or behind you to disrupt your rhythm.
18. Twilight golf
The sun just starts to set, as you race against daylight to finish the round.
19. Hitting a tight draw
A power draw, with total control.
20. Saving par
Golf isn’t a game of perfect.
21. Playing a round with your family
Golf is a game the entire family can enjoy.
22. The sound of the ball dropping into the cup
23. Hitting a driving shot into the wind
Plus, it looks cool.
24. Chipping in
Everyone loves a good chip in.
25. Hitting a good shot during a terrible round.
Sometimes, it’s that one shot that keeps you coming back.
26. When your kids want to play golf with you
Passing the torch to the next generation of golfers.
27. Breaking 90 for the first time
A score in the 80s sounds so much better, doesn’t it?
28. Breaking 80 for the first time
It’s a truly monumental achievement.
29. Getting your handicap to single-digits
Commands universal respect.
30. The feeling when you make a great backswing turn
This ball is about to be HIT.
31. The sound of a pure strike.
Like a crack of thunder.
32. When you hit it so pure you don’t need to watch it any more
You already know where that shot is going.
33. Making an ace
Often it only happens once in a lifetime. Savor it.
34. Sinking a clutch putt
Match on the line? Not anymore.
35. Making all your short putts.
36. When the weather is perfect
The perfect day to play.
37. Outdriving everyone
Each product we feature has been independently selected by GOLF.com ’s editorial team. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn a small commission.