Giants Ridge Golf & Ski Resort
- ALSO GOOD FOR
- Suites, villas, homes and a lodge / two restaurants / spa / biking
- 6329 Wynne Creek Dr, Biwabik, MN 55708
TravelogueIt’s no easy trek to Minnesota’s Iron Range, but you’ll be rewarded with two of the best public golf courses in the state, including The Quarry (54th on GOLF’s Top 100 You Can Play) and The Legend, the seventh-ranked public course in the state. The Quarry is a risk-reward paradise that weaves through reclaimed and repurposed mine land with elevated tees, breathtaking views and endless pines. Its marquee hole is the par-3 17th, which plays over Sabin Lake from an elevated tee to a raised green situated on the end of a peninsula. The Legend plays along the west side of Wynne and Sabin lakes and has perhaps the most iconic bunker in the state, a massive “giant’s foot” that sits left of the 3rd fairway and calls for a forced carry. Outdoor enthusiasts will relish the deep menu of other activities Giants Ridge offers, including swimming, boating, fishing, rock climbing, biking, and hiking. Mountains bikers have access to the Mesabi Trail, a 115-mile paved trail that runs through the scenic Iron Range. In winter, the resort caters to snow-lovers, as the 35-run ski mountain and snowboard park come to life.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:Year round; take advantage of the slopes or some of the best public courses in Minnesota.
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:$164
3. Golf experience:Two championship courses; one, the Quarry, is considered by many the best public course in the state.
4. Best non-golf amenity:You're in the Land of 10,000 Lakes and the heart of the Superior National Forest, so the answer to this is "fishing!"
5. While you're there:Grab a mountain bike and hit the trails.
6. Insider tip:Giants Ridge is also one of the best ski resorts in the Midwest.