Cap Cana Resort
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, NA
- ALSO GOOD FOR
- Five restaurants / pool / spa / tennis / polo / zip line / multiple hotels
- Punta Cana 51101, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, NA
TravelogueMore than a few observers have anointed Punta Espada at Cap Cana as Jack Nicklaus’ best design. It’s hard to argue, given the setting along the Caribbean with eight holes melting into its azure waters. Punta Espada checks all the tropical-island boxes: beach, bluffs, jungles, wildlife and even a cave to the left of the 1st fairway stocked with iguanas. The single-digit group will also deem it a stout test upon rolling up on the 611-yard, par-5 2nd. The 7,400-yard layout hosted the Champions Tour’s Cap Cana Championship from 2008-’10, with Fred Couples setting the course record posting a 62. Boom Boom and the rest of the senior circuit battled Punta Espada’s notorious 250-yard par-3 13th with waves crashing against the coral and rock outcroppings lining the left side of the hole. Off the course, Cap Cana offers a variety of luxury accommodations. Secrets is an adults-only refuge; Eden Roc delights with 34 intimate suites; and the 176-room Sanctuary boasts Spanish Colonial architecture and stunning marble and tile interiors. Nicklaus Design and GOLF.com are affiliates of 8AM Golf.
6 things you need to know
1. Best time to go:December through April is peak season. Summer offers incredible value (depending on your heat tolerance).
2. Daily stay-and-plays start at:$750
3. Golf experience:Punta Espada Golf Course designed by Jack Nicklaus.
4. Best non-golf amenity:Scape Park features zip lining, lagoons, iguana, parrots, monkeys, caves and more.
5. While you're there:Dine at the new Blue Grill + Bar at Eden Roc, led by Chef Adriano Venturini.
6. Insider tip:Fly into Punta Cana International Airport, a mere 15 minutes from the first tee.