News

Tiger Woods withdraws after Round 3 of PGA Championship

tiger woods looks

TULSA, Okla. — Tiger Woods’ PGA Championship is officially over.

Woods withdrew from the championship Saturday evening, hours after shooting nine-over 79 in Round 3 at Southern Hills. The PGA of America announced Woods’ decision shortly after the conclusion of third-round play.

“Tiger Woods has informed us that he is withdrawing from the 2022 PGA Championship,” PGA of America President Jim Richerson said in a statement. “We admire Tiger’s valiant effort to compete here at Southern Hills and wish him the best as he continues to recover from his injuries.”

The 46-year-old was competing in just his second official tournament since suffering major injuries in a car accident in February 2021 outside Los Angeles. He made the cut and finished 47th at the Masters last month.

Woods posted rounds of 74-69-79 in his three rounds at Southern Hills this week.

In his post-round press conference on Saturday, Woods was asked if he’d play on Sunday.

“Well, I’m sore,” he said. “I know that is for a fact. We’ll do some work and see how it goes.”

Now we know his answer.

He has not yet announced if he will play in next month’s U.S. Open, but he did say earlier this year he intended to play in the 150th Open Championship at St. Andrews, a venue where he’s won two Open Championships.

Exit mobile version