Finally a membership that pays for itself.

InsideGOLF Premium
News

‘Hard work ahead’: Pro releases statement after elevator accident, surgeries

Andrea Pavan, pictured during the 2025 British Masters.

Andrea Pavan, pictured during the 2025 British Masters.

Getty Images

The pro whose freak accident led to multiple surgeries has released a statement thanking those who have reached out and said he has lots of hard work and rehab ahead as he now focuses on recovery.

Andrea Pavan, 36, fell three stories down an elevator shaft on Wednesday when the elevator doors opened, but no car was present. The news was first reported by Ryan French of Monday Q Info, and a GoFundMe created to support Pavan later explained more details.

Pavan, a two-time winner on the DP World Tour, was in South Africa to play this week’s Investec South African Open Championship when the accident happened at his private accommodation for the week.

“I would like to say a big thank you for all the kind words and wishes I have received over the last 48 hours,” Pavan said in a statement, which was released by the DP World Tour on Friday. “I had surgery on my shoulder and my back on Wednesday evening and I am currently recovering in [the] hospital.

“I now have a lot of rehab and hard work ahead of me, but the care I have received so far from the Mediclinic hospital staff has been incredible, as has the support from the DP World Tour, the Sunshine Tour and all their staff here in Stellenbosch. I am also very grateful for all the help Johann Rupert and his wife Gaynor have given me.

“The last two days have been difficult, but I am in very good hands and to have so many players, caddies and staff visit and contact me has meant a lot to me. Grazie mille everyone, from me, my wife Audra, and my entire family.”

The Italian pro was a member of Texas A&M’s NCAA championship team in 2009, and one of his former A&M teammates, Matt Van Zandt, created the GoFundMe to support Pavan, his wife and their three kids.

“Andrea has been part of many close-knit communities across the world, from his time at Texas A&M and the 12th man, to the world of professional golf between the PGA and DP World Tours,” Van Zandt wrote. “Now is the time that we come together and support him through this unexpected trial.”

The GoFundMe campaign has already raised $40,000 of its $100,000 goal. You can visit the page here.

Related Articles

News
'Weakening the DP tour': Masters champ denounces Rory McIlroy's PGA comments
By: Kevin Cunningham
News
Yurav Premlall nearly matches Tiger Woods record in historic first DP World Tour win
By: Maddi MacClurg
News
'Very selfish': Veteran blasts pros worried about LIV stars returning
By: Kevin Cunningham
Travel
‘Hardest golf course in the world’ battering scorecards again this week
By: Alan Bastable
News
Jon Rahm withdraws DPWT sanctions appeal. But his stance hasn’t changed
By: Sean Zak
News
Rory McIlroy focuses on bigger Ryder Cup picture after Jon Rahm rejects DPWT's 'generous' deal
By: Josh Schrock
News
Jon Rahm won't budge against DPWT. Will it cost him dearly?
By: Josh Schrock
News
'They're extorting players': Jon Rahm slams DP World Tour over demands he refused
By: Kevin Cunningham
News
Pro Andrea Pavan injured in freak elevator accident, according to reports
By: Josh Berhow
was:
Exit mobile version